Abu Dhabi: New rules and regulations for e-bikes and bicycles – News
Only one cyclist allowed to ride a bicycle, scooter or e-bike
The Integrated Transport Center (ITC) of the Department of Municipalities and Transport (DMT) Abu Dhabi, in cooperation with the Abu Dhabi Police Headquarters, announced new regulations on the use of bicycles on Saturday, e-bikes and other micromobility devices in the emirate.
This comes after the DMT issued the necessary rulings to implement the provisions of the new regulations.
A statement from the Abu Dhabi Government Media Office said the new regulations aim to set the highest safety and security standards for the use and rental of regular and electric bikes and include the necessary requirements for the carrying out these activities.
The revised regulations apply to the use and/or supply or rental of bicycles for individuals and businesses, as well as the use of e-bikes, scooters and all micromobility devices on the road or cycle paths.
The ITC stressed that the new regulations are part of the emirate’s efforts to diversify the means of transport, in cooperation with the relevant strategic actors, and establish an integrated and sustainable system that improves the quality of services available. for the community.
The bicycle combines sport and transport for trips over short distances, and as a “first and last mile” service linking public bus stations, shopping centers, services and residential areas, promoting integration into the transport network and enabling community members to reach their destinations. quickly and inexpensively.
Rules for cyclists and e-bike users
The regulations state that:
- Only one cyclist can travel by bicycle, scooter or electric bicycle using the lanes reserved for bicycles. Protective helmets must be worn at all times, as well as reflective clothing at night.
- Cyclists and users of micromobility devices can only use lanes and roads intended for bicycles.
- In the absence of designated zones, cyclists must use the side lanes where the speed is limited to 20 km/h, and they must stay on the far right of the roadway, sidewalks or sidewalks dedicated to the use of bicycles.
- All dangerous stunts that pose risks to riders, pedestrians or road users are strictly prohibited.
- Cyclists may park their bicycles in designated areas and refrain from keeping them where they might impede vehicular or pedestrian traffic.
- Bicycles should not be chained to traffic lights or street light poles.
- Road users should give priority to pedestrians and reduce their speed at intersections and crossroads, while maintaining a safe distance from other vehicles and pedestrians.
- It is completely forbidden for cyclists to hang on to any other vehicle or enter the space of any vehicle at high or low speed.
- It is completely forbidden to drive in the opposite direction of the road.
- Rules and regulations for any rental activity of bicycles or micro-mobility devices
- The ITC allows companies involved in the rental of electric bicycles to resume their activity in accordance with the provisions and requirements of the regulations.
- It is prohibited for any individual or company to engage in the business of renting bicycles or micro-mobility devices without an official permit issued by ITC.
- The Authorized Operator is responsible for not using any bike or mobility device that does not meet the approved technical specifications and is responsible for providing regular periodic maintenance of the bikes and/or devices.
- All facilities renting or operating bicycles and micro-mobility devices are also required to ensure that a telephone number is available for cyclists to contact them in the event of an emergency or malfunction. .
- Operators must provide a notice outlining the requirements and safety guidelines for riding bicycles and e-bikes through the facility’s smart app and on a sticker form on the bike’s body. Instructions will advise users that bicycles must not be stopped on pedestrian or roadways, at the entrances and exits of houses or buildings.
- All electric bicycles must be equipped with a monitoring or tracking device (electronic GPS) compatible with the approved technical specifications.
Technical specifications and requirements
Bicycles and e-bikes must be equipped with a white headlight and a red tail light that can be switched on during night riding, or a red light reflector, as well as an audible warning device mounted on the handlebars and effective brakes, at least on the rear wheel.
ITC is in the process of publishing manuals of procedures, requirements and regulations for the practice of bicycles and the use of all micromobility devices, including technical specifications and requirements for personal and commercial use. , in accordance with the highest safety and security standards.
Fines will apply to all establishments and operators of bicycle and electric rental services, and to their users, who violate any of the regulations.
READ ALSO :