Electric Bikes Pedal in Vernon – Vernon Morning Star
A new way to get around town is unfolding in Vernon.
Electric scooter operator Neuron Mobility is bringing its first of a new fleet of e-bikes to town on April 30. Vernon cyclists have already embraced e-scooters, and e-bikes provide another safe and sustainable option for commuting to work, visiting local businesses, and exploring the city.
Vernon becomes only the second city in Canada – and the first in British Columbia – to offer Neuron e-bikes for rent.
“The community has really embraced micromobility through our electric scooters and we’re excited to be able to offer them another alternative and environmentally friendly transportation option, especially with rising fuel prices,” said Ankush Karwal, Market Manager for Neurone in Canada.
Seeing residents and visitors adopt more sustainable modes of transportation has been exciting for city officials and community leaders.
The Downtown Vernon Association is thrilled to see that the new e-bikes even have a basket to accommodate local purchases.
Neuron will be at the Greater Vernon Chamber of Commerce Community Expo on Saturday, April 30 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Kal Tire Place North to promote safety when using scooters and e-bikes.
For the initial phase of launch, the e-bike zone will include downtown Vernon and shared lanes leading downtown.
Vernon riders, who must be at least 16 years old, can reserve an e-bike with the Neuron app for the same price as an e-scooter. Single rides cost $1.15 to unlock the electric scooter and 35 cents per minute thereafter. More frequent users also have the option of purchasing Neuron Passes, a subscription service, available in three-day ($25), weekly ($33), or monthly ($89) options.
Neuron’s e-bikes are equipped with the same industry-leading safety features found on its e-scooters, including geolocation control and a world-first helmet lock. Wearing a helmet is mandatory in Vernon.
Important driving rules and safety tips for e-scooters and e-bikes:
• Riders must be 16 years of age or older, parental/guardian consent is required for riders under 18 years of age.
• Wearing a helmet is mandatory, there is one on each e-scooter and e-bike.
• Traffic is permitted on cycle paths, multi-use paths and roads with a speed limit of 50 km/h or less. E-scooters are allowed on empty sidewalks, but e-bikes are not.
• One driver per e-scooter and e-bike, and no tandem riding with children.
• Do not put children or pets in the baskets of e-bikes.
• Keep a safe distance from pedestrians and other vehicles – and yield to all pedestrians and mobility devices such as wheelchairs.
• Do not ride under the influence of alcohol or other substances.
• Always be vigilant and remove the earphones.
• Park responsibly and do not obstruct. Riders are encouraged to use designated parking areas which can be found in the Neuron app.